Mrs Crummles Bonnet

This bonnet was designed by me for the character of Mrs Vincent Crummles, from the novel Nicholas Nickleby by Dickens. It is based on descriptions of her character, and fashion plates and images of the time. The frame is made from buckram (unmolded) and millinery wire, and covered in a brown textured fabric, with box pleated grosgrain ribbon and pheasant feathers to trim.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get a photo of this on the model yet, but that should be on here soon.


Photography by Danny Garside







Beaded Parrot

This is a beaded parrot, made using a variety of beads and sequins onto organza, experimenting with different beading stitches. The pattern was given to me, and I attempted to follow it as far as possible, but had a few problems getting exactly the sizes necessary, so there had to be a bit of improvising... Nonetheless, I'm happy with it - now it just needs something to be attached to!








Photography by Danny Garside

Bum Roll and Shaped Petticoat

Petticoats are used to add bulk and support an over skirt, and to soften and smooth the undergarments, so that they do not show through to the top fabric. I made a small bum roll to go with this calico petticoat; so that the petticoat hem is always on the straight grain, and it sits straight at the bottom, it has to be shaped over the bum roll and pleated on the stand to allow for the extra length needed at the back.

Shown with Corset
Bum Roll




Photography by Danny Garside


Basic Corset

This was a corset project, exploring different ways of constructing a corset, using various seams and finishes. This was blocked to the model's measurements and then fitted twice. It uses flat felled seams, channelling, petersham covered channels and overlocked seams and features a modesty panel at the back. The top and bottom are hand finished with bias binding and piping respectively. 




Inside View

Photography by Danny Garside


Men's Regency Shirt

This is a square cut shirt, cut to a traditional pattern where all the pieces are square so there is minimal fabric wastage. There are ties at the neck and wrists, and gathered sleeves and neck. This is wholly french seamed with gussets at the neck, armhole and side slits. The back is longer than the front to allow for tucking in. 

                              

Cinderella - Pumpkin Costume

This is the pumpkin costume from the 2011 Hackney Empire pantomime Cinderella, designed by Lotte Collett. I made this on a work experience placement, out of orange plastazote. I made a pattern from a real pumpkin, having had some trouble with getting it to hang properly, and then shaped each segment with a heat gun. The seams were all reinforced with cotton tape, and the eyes and mouth are cut outs with yellow sprayed panels behind. It is pulled over the head, with head and arm holes, and ends high thigh. After I made it, I spray painted it with red and yellow to make it more 3 dimensional. It was worn in a scene with UV lighting, so the whole thing glowed, while the actor was wearing black so the pumpkin looked like it was dancing.
The pumpkin pre-spray paint

The gradiated colours made it appear more 3D on stage
Front view with face cut outs